Sunday, September 18, 2011

Culture Shock Hits you like a Brick!!!!!

      Settling in to a new city is so exciting until culture shock hits you like a pimp with powder in his hand. Everything was so exciting the first week. Second week comes by and then you realize that you're by yourself in a different continent. The Aries in me doesn't even matter about that part. We're loners anyway. The part that sucks is jet lag. That "your body will adjust in 2 days" is complete and utter bullshit. I found myself not sleeping just so I could talk to my friends because I was lonely. I don't even know what time zone I'm on currently but I'm closer to China time, Thank God. I have been here for 11 days. I got lost countless times and trust the only person that can assist you is God. I only know hello in Chinese so asking for help is completely out the question. The people that know English DON'T SPEAK ENGLISH. Lets just say their English is like my Spanish and I learned Spanish in grammar school. Certain days you wake up and say What was i thinking? When my Internet went out, I went into a deep depression. Oreos and prayer ended it. I never allow myself to be depressed longer than 2 days. The CAU motto is "Find a way or Make one" (CAU Woo woo) I fixed my Internet  and told myself I had no choice but to embrace my new residence.
      My Chinese friends introduced me to my 1st friend. I guess they figure I needed one and all the Chinese women are married. My friend called her friend and gave me the phone and said he's black. I love people who don't beat around the bush lol. I told my friend i wanted to go out for drinks and that's what we did. We went to a Chinese restaurant where I finally learned how to use chop sticks. Then again when you're hungry and there's no fork it becomes quite easy. You can hear the whole restaurant slurping and everyone smokes cigarettes here. The alarming thing was when a 2 year old was walking in the restaurant,  squatted and took a dump in the middle of the floor. The crazy thing is that I was the only one alarmed by it.
        I love the clubs here. There is nothing like partying in a different country. The Chinese men are the nicest and ladies they buy drinks and don't harass you!!! Everyone drinks Chinese beer and rum. They toast for everything. I met some Chinese people that invited me to their section. They toasted for me coming, they toasted for me being a teacher, they toasted for me trying to learn Chinese, they toasted for my 1st time being in the club, etc.  MY TYPE OF PEOPLE!!!! They never let your glass get low either. They genuinely want to show u a great time since you're a visitor. I also meet other foreigners and its a bond from the start. All the black people  here are from England or Africa. I met some other Americans and we all get along like family. It's definitely going to be a great experience for me....

1 comment:

  1. You are so brave, Lauren!!! This post right here is exactly why I refuse to leave the comforts of Decatur, GA!!! Lol

    ReplyDelete